Sunday, June 17, 2012

Fourteen 5 hour days!

That is what I have to work with in summer school. I have 14 school days, lasting 5 hours each with a smallish (I presume) group of students to get them from not passing to passing on their statewide tests.

I have never taught high school before. I was supposed to be teaching two sessions of MCA (Minnesota testing) prep for incoming 9th and 10th grade students. Well, my first session had a whopping one student signed up so we flipped him to math session 1 and he'll take reading with me session 2. So now I have 3 weeks to get my session prepped and ready to go, I will be teaching next session, most of the students I have are taking math this session, so we know they're around.

Five hours is a long time each day! Wow. I'm struggling with it a bit. So far I have that we will do some test-taking strategies, figurative language, story elements, daily journaling, daily analogies, reading strategies, independent reading and non-fiction responses.

I typically hate "teaching to the test" but in this instance, I took all of these things directly off the test specifications and since the point of this class is test prep, I'm ok with it.

If anyone has any great ideas for filling 5 hours with a bunch of high schoolers, I'm all ears!

1 comment:

  1. I think you have some good stuff lined up for summer school-I would probably also have them discuss books they are reading-you know they can learn a lot from each other and it takes up time.... :)

    Can you add an email subscription button so I can follow you that way? :)

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete