Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Vanished: True Tales of the Missing

This was the second book I finished on my holiday break book-a-day challenge. I whipped through it in about an hour. Probably because I skimmed a lot of it.

In theory, this sounds like a great idea for a book, tell the tales of people who have gone missing, some found, some never heard from again. The potential for intrigue and a gripping story is here. Unfortunately, in practice, I didn't feel that this book delivered. Many of the stories were rushed, as though the research wasn't done, or perhaps there wasn't enough background information, but just when I thought some of the stories were getting good, I'd turn the page and *poof* we were on to the next story.

There were two redeeming stories in this book for me. The story of musician Henry Grimes, who seemingly disappeared for over 40 years only to reappear with the help of a fan was a story I enjoyed. The story of author Antoine Saint-Exupery, I'd never know that he disappeared over the ocean and was never heard from again.

I'll put this book on my school shelves for students, but I'm not that excited about what I read. I think I just expected more from a book with such a high level and such potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment