Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Along for the Ride, Sarah Dessen

The first book I finished for my book-a-day challenge over break was Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen. I feel quite accomplished having finished this book first, as it is absolutely the longest title on my list. (If I were one of my students, this would count for two books)

Ms. Dessen's books are always incredibly popular choices among my middle school girls. By the end of the school year, I always have at least one less Dessen book on my shelf, mysteriously enough.

Along for the Ride delivers just as well as her other books. Auden, a recent high-school graduate decides to spend the summer with her father, his new wife, and her new infant sister on the coast, in the small town of Colby. A nocturnal girl, Auden finds a friend in Eli, a "local boy" with issues of his own. Dessen's characters always have some issues to work through, but they're always vulnerable enough that as a reader, I want them to succeed and grow.

One thing I love about this story is Auden's relationship with her step-mother. It's a good relationship. There's no wicked-step-mother-vibe and their relationship grows in a healthy way. It's refreshing.

I liked it, but I like all of Sarah Dessen's works.

Now I'm off to finish my next book!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a good read-especially since it puts a positive spin on a step-parent relationship. I hear so many kids say they don't like their step-parent, and I think a lot of it has to do with what the parent is saying about the step-parent to the child. I am a step-parent and treat my step-sons the same exact way I treat my daughter. Maybe NONE of them like me! :)

    I'm definitely adding this to my TBR list!

    Shannon
    http://6thgradescottforesmanreadingstreetresources.wordpress.com/
    http://extremereadingandwriting.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete