Friday, December 23, 2011

Book a Day, Break is Finally Here!

Today marks the first day of my holiday break from school. (finally). We are off from today through January second. I have decided to spend my break doing mostly one thing. Reading, of course. Yesterday before I left school, I gathered up a pile of books I wanted to read. Eleven days of break makes for eleven books I needed. Here's what I came up with.

booksFrom the top down.


1. Rules - Isn't it ridiculous that I haven't read this book yet? I even have a literature circle set! This is the first book I'm going to try and knock off my list.


2. The Scorch Trials - This is going to a challenge for me. I struggled through "The Maze Runner" and yet, when this book arrived at my door as a gift from my PTA, I found myself putting it in my to-read pile instead of labeling it and putting it directly out for my students. I'm going to try it though.


3. Vanished: Stories of the Missing - This came free from Scholastic. I used my online ordering coupons (love those!) to purchase it. I need to do some serious bulking up of my non-fiction genres in my classroom library, so I snapped this up, and the short length inspired me to put it in my book-a-day pile.


4. Bystander - A book about bullying, and the importance of being the bystander, and how you react as that bystander. The effects you can have on someone's life.


5. Along for the Ride - I'm a sucker for a Sarah Dessen novel. And every year without fail, her books are the ones that mysteriously disappear from my shelves at the end of the year.


6. Woods Runner - I need to get some historical fiction books in to complete my own 40 Book challenge, so Gary Paulsen's book about the revolutionary war was a natural choice.


7 & 8. Among the Hidden and Among the Imposters - Another book series I can't believe I haven't read yet. My students eat these books up. (In fairness, I've read all of Haddix's "Found" series!)


9. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian - This book is all over my school right now, kids are LOVING it. So I figured I'd hop on that train and see what all the love is about.


10. Igniting a Passion for Reading - I've actually read this book before, but as I am working on an author visit (from Anne Ursu, how lucky am I?!) I wanted to re-read the book to pick up some tips on just how to make our visit spectacular.


11. Reading Ladders - This book was recommended to me by Jen at Teach Mentor Texts. Matching kids to great books for them is a passion of mine, so I fully intend to devour this book and keep it on had for years to come.


Of course, The Book Whisperer is at the bottom of my pile, it's not on my book-a-day list, it's just a constant presence on my desk at school!


I'm off to read!

3 comments:

  1. You will NOT be disappointed with the Shadow Children series by Margaret Haddix-I've read the 1st 2 and just need to find the time to read the rest of them that I got from Scholastic. I've been hearing about The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian and need to get it!

    Since Wednesday I've read a Clementine book(love her), A Monster Calls (no tears left), The Future of Us(great read), a early chapter book, and have started on Breadcrumbs(loving it!).

    Have fun with your bookaday-I'm thoroughly enjoying mine! :)

    Shannon
    http://extremereadingandwriting.wordpress.com/
    http://6thgradescottforesmanreadingstreetresources.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] navigation ← Book a Day, Break is Finally Here! Dec 26 [...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] first book I finished for my book-a-day challenge over break was Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen. I feel quite accomplished having finished this [...]

    ReplyDelete