Thursday, December 1, 2011

Professional Organizations

Since early this summer, I've contemplated joining a professional organization. While I've been unfortunate enough to be cut from positions for the last two years, I've been fortunate enough to be teaching full-time (or near it) for all three years of my career so far. I decided that I wanted to join a professional organization to further my professional development.

I did some research, and looked into the IRA (International Reading Association), NCTE (National Council of Teachers of English), the MRA (Minnesota Reading Association), and a few others, that I didn't consider long enough to list here.

After passing on the MRA, looking for a national-based organization, I just about decided on NCTE. (Due in large part to the fantastic stories I was reading on Twitter about the latest convention). I spoke with my literacy coach at school who recommended NCTE (she's a former member, no longer belonging as she is no longer teaching), and that really sealed the deal for me.

So here I am. The newest member of NCTE.

I feel so grown up.

No comments:

Post a Comment